Saturday, January 23, 2010

Now hollywood stars will run to adopt /buy Haiti children

I so fuckingly knew it! In fact, I was just waiting for some article to confirm it to me. I mean who hasn't read at least one article about Katherine Zeta Jones buying adopting a "poor child" from somewhere that is not white enough to treat children right (over and over again)?And what about Madonna (etc. etc.)?

The latest child abduction adoption news I read was about Queen Latifa saying she's ready to be a parent (via DNA India) and... please lemme quote her words:

I wanna just go down there, and get some of those babies

Before adding:
If you got a hook up, please get me a couple of Haitian kids. It's time. I'm ready
Yes for sure, the woman probably takes credit for not polishing her words with political correctness, eh tabi3e. But that credit is largely overshadowed by these words.

It makes me sick to my stomach to see this bullshit go on. It's very difficult to put into words all the anger that boils inside me upon reading about this injustice, so I will resort to my infamous bulletpoint abuse, to try and put my thoughts into order, and hope this doesn't end up as a very very very long blogpost (nshallah just a very very long blogpost).

  1. These abductions adoptions are dangerous for the children involved
    In fact, being the child of someone that became a celebrity is difficult, being born in a famous family is even more difficult, being adopted by a famous parent adds to it the fact that everyone will cover your adoption process, often subjecting you to the same judgment they have for your new owner parent; usually forgetting you all together, and never covering the effect this so-called adoption had on you over the years. Being taken out of your culture, your country, your simple habits, and sometimes, right out of your remaining family; are only a few of the psychological issues involved. Even when you parents are not celebrities it is profoundly disturbing, identity-wise, on this note you can read "Adopted from Korea and in Search of Identity" by Ron Nixon for the New York Times.
    Being reduced to the "adoptive child of a celebrity" is self-explanatory, i don't need to tell you how damaging that is, but you can for example read what Christina Crawford, adoptive daughter of Joan Crawford, had to say about this, in "Crawford's daughter attacks trend for celebrity adoptions" by Elizabeth Day for The Guardian (PS: notice how she's referred to as Crawford's daughter even in an article that's supposedly loathing celebrity adoption).
  2. These adoptions are sometimes illegal:
    I am not saying that all celebrities just pay someone to go grab the child during the night out of their bed and away from their families... Actually, I am saying that. Just look at the details of the cases you will notice that, more often than not, celebrities use their money and their fame to acquire these kids, even though they should not be able to. Take for instance Angelina Jolie's adoption of a "Syrian child", you can feel that. I took this example because I am a bit familiar with the culture. I know for example that Islam prohibits adoption as it is consider a child-trade (I guess what these fucked up celebrities are doing is nothing new, non?). Syria is a pre-dominantly Muslim state. Even in Christian communities in Lebanon adoption is extremely difficult, in addition to having to pay huge amounts of money (irrelevant point for celebrities), the adoptive parent need to be married for over 7 years (is she even legally married?), has tried all other fertility alternatives (yeah right! and screw up that perfect, money-generating body?), and still has no other child (I mean she only has six other children, that's almost like having none). Even when all these conditions apply you have to stay on a waiting list for years, because others have been waiting before you. But not Angelina Jolie, no she can adopt whoever she wants, whenever she wants, however she wants.
  3. Colonialist attitude:
    I mean seriously people, all of these celebrities run to adopt child from the Global South. Why? Because there are no orphans in their countries? Or because a colored child looks cooler in paparazzi pictures? Because they feel our culture is so fucked up that they need to be salvaged by white (or not so white in the case of Queen Latifa) celebrities?
    Well no, our cultures are just as good/bad as any other, and if anyone cares to help, they should help, not hussle, lie and buy, these children. They should volunteer in orphanages, speak to the children, buy them needed items every once in a while, listen to their stories worries, history and culture. Most of the time, give those children the chance to talk about how they lost one or both of their parents and how they are feeling. But that's not as juicy as declaring they are buying adopting a child to raise awareness, is it?
  4. It's sort of personal:
    When I was about 15 years old, my mom told me a story that had happened a few years earlier. She said my dad came back troubled one day from work. My dad tends to not talk in general, he actually takes "not talking" to an unusual extreme, even within our Lebanese context. Eventually, he teared and told her that he was driving home. At a traffic light, a myriad of street beggers, street kids, and people selling gadgets, waled in between cars to try to make a dollar or two. The scene itself is very common in the Lebanese urban scenery. Hardly disturbing for the average dad driving home.
    Physical fatigue, psychological numbness, and summer heat conspired against him. He heard his son (my older brother) selling something behind the car. My dad turns around to see a 13 y/o teenager selling something. According to my dad, this young teenager looked a lot like my brother.
    You see, my dad is a very responsible father. He's quote exceptional, I often wrote about him, mainly before I started labeling my posts. Plus that period was financially difficult for my family, well at least more difficult that usual. My father felt very helpless and scared, scared that he won't be able to provide for us. At that time, the thought that crossed his mind was what would happen to us if he were to die. He was scared we'd have to work at a young age, or end up in some institute.
    This story reminded me of Yohane Banda, the father of one of Madonna's adoptive children. I think of what he must have felt (really) and how David was eventually, not loved that much... And I think of my dad, he probably wouldn't have had to sell us to rich motherfuckers but it's frightening to raise your kids not knowing how you willing feed tomorrow, or knowing that you will not be able to.
  5. Showbusiness hayete!
    Just check out the sections in which these articles are classified: entertainment, celebrity gossip, music, etc. It's kind of sad how the lives of some children, and their future, is classified entertainment just because they can't afford to matter, non?
Well, that's as much as my braincells allow me write about the subject, there's a lot more to be said. And I guess Queen Latifa's statements say it much more eloquently than i could ever do. I still can't understand how this can be taken so lightly.

In a chat conversation, my friend Deems said it could be a joke, or a way to mock the "buy adopt a colored thing kid" frenzy. I certainly hope so. It makes me sick to my stomach that celebrities make millions off of the lives of these kids and people just laugh about it...


No comments: