my English course
You see, I wanted to attend this course, since I have nothing else to do during the day, right? But our teacher is terrible! She’s actually MEAN, hurtful, childish and takes pleasure in making sure the students are humiliated under the pretext of preserving the teacher’s respect
What a bitch. And you should see her discussion skills, she kind of uses it as a way to brag about her superiority. She had a fight a couple of weeks ago with Nancy… and then waited for her to leave class to start bashing her in front of us, calling her immature and stuff. Then this week, she had a fight with Mary over something, threw her out of the class, then bragged about how the college administration refused to allow Mary return before apologizing to the teacher (the teacher had demanded an apology)… again, she started bashing Mary in front of us. Then she fights with Nabil and Maya and Sami and…. Me! Yes you could say I had my first argument with a teacher in my whole life! But she didn’t throw us out of the class.
Then she opens discussions that she knows nothing about, she gives scientific articles that are either too old or inaccurate, when we argue about it, she kind of ignores it or makes our questions sound pretty silly.
But that’s not what bothered me the most. What bothered me the most were the discussions that took place, we once discussed the subject of women’s rights in society and how much rights are women really having. All the girls affirmed that a woman doesn’t have enough rights and that she should be allowed more freedom. The guys were all like “well, there shouldn’t be an inversion of roles” and “Ok, that’s your choice and your demands PERSONALLY, I don’t want to marry such a woman, I like to feel like I am the man in the relationship”. Which is pretty frustrating, because this is called closing a conversation on emotional basis! What can I answer that with? He didn’t say he’s right, he just said that he doesn’t care and knows what he wants!
Then on Wednesday the worst happened. A girl suggested that we would discuss adoption of children by homosexual couples. Ok that was cool, until the arguments started going wild talking about how “wrong” it is to be homosexual, how they are in fact “sick” and should be treated. Our beloved teacher actually admitted that there are people that have this biological problem and can’t feel attracted to the opposite sex. Cool, but then she said that it’s still wrong…. Here are some of the comments and point of views expressed:
- First of all, homosexuality is wrong
- These people need medical help, there are therapies
- Some people have medical conditions, but most are just doing this because they think it’s cool
- If they can’t possibly have attraction to the other sex, then that doesn’t mean that they should go sleep with people from the same sex…. They should just have no sex at all
- I don’t believe in biological reasons, that can be solved … look at transsexuals
- I had a friend that thought she was homosexual, she told me that in fact she was searching for a mother’s love
- In my college (that’s the teacher talking), there were one lesbian that used to stalk my friend, my friend once yelled at her and the lesbian went to a teacher who actually blamed my friend
- Society shouldn’t accept homosexuals because that means that society’s encouraging, that’s our problem, we encourage this
- In a conference I once attended the psychologist said that homosexuality is an illness
Notice the conspiracy theory!
Naturally I couldn’t stay still, I tried to answer. But then they would go back to the same arguments. I did expect people to attack homosexuals but I didn’t expect EVERYBODY to do so. I didn’t expect that NO ONE would look at homosexuals as normal human beings. I didn’t get attacked myself for defending homosexuality but I felt devastated. You’d expect these college student, these self-proclaimed modern people, you’d expect them to be more tolerant.