Thursday, May 04, 2006

Call me feminist if you like!

A mother and her two daughters were talking about women stuff. About health pads and menstruation, about the best and worst stuff about it, bla bla bla…
In brief it’s the casual kind of chat that most girls talk about when they are reasonably close.
The brother was sitting in the next room, at a certain moment it became simply Too much for him. He just came in and said it loud and clear:

Can you ladies PLEASE not talk about this topic!!



That’s not unusual, it happens everyday. We, the ladies (or at least me the lady!) take great joy in teasing guys with these things, we like to talk about these awkward conversations in front of guys. It’s miraculous how they are disgusted!

But sometimes it’s not as light and fun. Sometimes we feel some grudge when guys refuse and reject the less sexy aspects of our feminism. Sometimes, demand there right not to hear about menstruation, and sometimes about our masturbation. Sometimes they make us feel like they don’t have to hear it. They make it clear that these topics are something we better keep to ourselves (and of course other ladies).

Don’t get me wrong, I’d never ask anyone to hear about anything that s/he doesn’t want to hear about. It’s not about that. Most of us don’t even want to talk about menstruation with anyone (not to mention to a GUY) and none of us talks about masturbating, it’s something that actually doesn’t exist in society.

The problem is that when we grew up, puberty took us by surprise, a pretty ugly surprise. Yes sure my mom had talked to me about it when I was 9, but I didn’t even want to here about my genitals. So when I had it for the first time I was devastated. I just didn’t want it. All my attempts to deny it were futile. Of course what made it worse was the fact that I was only 10 and it was accompanied with painful contractions. In brief, I refused it. I won’t go into any details, but I’ll say this:

If you could sum all the objection, refusal and disgust of all men on the face of the earth, if you could sum all that it won’t equal my refusal, my objection and my disgust! We never chose to be the way that we are, and I remember wishing I’d undergo an operation to remove my ovaries once and for all. I HATED IT.

Only, unlike men, I was forced to accept it. No one asked me and no one gave me no choices. Somehow, we (or at least I) feel it was unfair that the guys would just wash there hands from this. Why were we forced to live with this while guys don’t even want to hear about it. I suppose I don’t make much sense. In the end, I’d force no one to hear about my menstruation, but I’d never enjoy the close company of any guy that doesn’t want to hear, because I like to talk about it from time to time.

No comments: