Monday, September 11, 2006

Call me when you’re sober v/s اعتزلت الغرام

I have watched today (Friday) to the new video clip of evanescence call me when you’re sober (well I am not certain how new it is, I just watched it for the 1st time. I can’t really say the song was impressing, less than average. What interested me was the video clip itself.

When I first saw the clip it instantly reminded me of the Magida Roumy’s clip, for the song اعتزلت الغرام .

Both start with the singer sitting at the end of a very long table and facing, at the other end, a man.

Both clips describe the end of an abusive and unhealthy relationship where the woman was reduced to the level of an “object”.

Both men were represented as powerful and insensitive, the woman, at first glamorous then revolts and walks away.

Now of course there’s significant difference, for example Magida’s clip didn’t have demonic symbols (goat horns rising from the chairs, big bad wolves…). However, at least as far as I’m concerned, the two clips had the same spirit. If I were such a musicophile, I would have been able to judge of any copying, but I am not, so I just notice stuff…

No comments: